The world’s top all-inclusive resorts are all in Central America or the Caribbean – if this year’s rankings by users of travel review site TripAdvisor are to be believed.
The network – which has more than 260 million unique monthly visitors and more than 125 million reviews and opinions covering more than 3.1 million places to stay – has just released its annual Travelers Choice ranking for the hotel category.
According to the site’s users, the best all-inclusive resort in the world is the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso in Playa Paraiso, Mexico.
The top ten all-inclusive resorts in the world, according to the rankings, are:
1. Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
2. Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba
3. The Beloved Hotel, Playa Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico
4. Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica
5. Excellence Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico
6. Le Blanc Spa Resort, Cancun, Mexico
7. Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
8. Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
9. The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
10. Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, Bahia de Samana, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
James Kay of TripAdvisor says, “The winners are based on the more than 100 million reviews and opinions from travellers on TripAdvisor, including traveller ratings for specific categories. Reviews and opinions were analysed using an algorithm similar to that used by TripAdvisor’s Popularity Index taking into account the property’s quality overall and for a particular category, according to traveller reviews and opinions, as well as the quantity and recency of content written on TripAdvisor.”
Yet it is worth taking a closer look at the list. For anyone who loves all-inclusive holidays with the family, the sad fact is that only two of this top ten take children – the rest are adults-only.